This is a newly established role and you will take the lead on a fundraising programme with a priority focus on trusts and foundations, in addition to individuals and corporates. A structured 3-year fundraising plan and strong fundraising foundations have been put in place, and we are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual with a proven track record, preferably across Europe, to deliver its expected outcomes at a time when interest in lung health is high.
The position would best suit a fundraiser with experience who can hit the ground running. You will be creative, confident and well-versed in building the case for support and converting this into grants, sponsorship, major gifts and donations. The role also includes support and stewardship of our 300+ volunteers who are at the heart of ELF’s work.
This is an exciting opportunity to help shape and deliver a new programme of support for the European Lung Foundation, which will have a significant impact lung health in Europe.
Job title: Fundraising & Supporter experience
Reporting to: ELF Director
Salary: €30-40,000 (+ benefits) depending on experience and location
Based: Brussels, Belgium OR Sheffield, UK, but with flexible home-working possibilities
To lead European Lung Foundation (ELF) fundraising activities in order to secure funding for programme work and organisational core costs.
Foundation/Trusts and grant-making bodies
- Build relationships with existing grant-givers, writing reports to meet deadlines and submitting further applications for funding.
- Manage and lead the identification of, and approaches to trusts and foundations.
- Identify and secure funding from foundations with international scope.
- Develop core generic proposals for each programme that requires funding.
- Write tailored applications, addressing grant-making priorities or requirements as specified by individual trusts and foundations.
- Develop and deliver a strategy to increase donor acquisition and income from individuals using ELF materials (both professionals and patients).
- Plan activities around the European Respiratory Society annual congress in order to capitalise on 20,000 healthcare professionals in the field attending one event.
- Mange and develop supporter fundraising activities to increase fundraised income – including leading on the annual #TakeTheActiveOption in September challenge.
- Identify and approach corporate prospects with aims and goals in keeping with those of the European Lung Foundation, securing financial contributions and the support of employees.
- Specifically focus on the potential of the Healthy Lungs for Life campaign (www.healthylungsforlife.org) and partnerships that can be created.
- Develop standard corporate contracts.
- Work with the ELF Director and ELF Council to develop ELF’s fundraising and communications strategy and action plans.
- Contribute new ideas for fundraising and identify suitable funding initiatives, calls for proposals etc.
- Produce detailed annual action plans on specific areas of responsibility outlined above, identifying areas for growth and development and outlining measurable objectives.
- Objectively review the success and achievements against agreed targets, identifying strengths, weaknesses and areas for development.
- Maintain organised files of all fundraising information.
- Participate in the day-to-day work of the organisation – such as reporting, attending team and board meetings as required, and taking a flexible approach to general administrative and support tasks.
- Represent the work of ELF at events to members of the public and supporters, where necessary delivering presentations.
- Ensure all volunteers working with ELF are recognised and feel appreciated in their roles.
- Provide supporters with regular updates on ELF activities and what they have helped the organistion achieve.
- Produce an annual report for supporters so that they can gauge the impact that their contribution makes.
- Ensure the fundraising section on the website is up to date.
- Ensure effective and engaging communication information in generated and provided – including articles for the monthly newsletter.
- Collate case studies, photographs and information to use in engagement pieces.
- At least 5 years’ experience in Foundations/Trusts and/or Corporate and/or individual fundraising.
- Proven record of successful applications for substantial funding from Foundations/Trusts and other grant-making bodies.
- Demonstrable ability to develop relationships with Corporate partners and Foundations/Trusts.
- Experience of researching Foundation/Trust and Corporate funding opportunities.
- Working within a charitable environment within an international audience/outlook.
- A background in the health sector would be advantageous.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent written skills with the ability to produce concise and creative bids.
- High standard of computer literacy (Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook and the Internet).
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Demonstrable ability to plan and prioritise own workload with minimum supervision.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills required to build relationships with potential donors.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Foundations and Trusts and Corporate giving in general.
- Proven track record of delivering on fundraising targets.
- Knowledge of fundraising software and CRM use.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, innovation and work well under pressure.
- Ability to understand and generate budgets.
- Ability to plan ahead and work within agreed timeframes.
- Ability and willingness to travel for work, including international travel.
- Ability to work as part of a small, dynamic team.
- Knowledge of contracts and VAT issues, desirable