During this very worrying time for many people with respiratory conditions, we invite you to share how you are living and coping with the challenges of COVID-19, by using a simple phone APP to record your experiences by video.
If you would like to record a short video clip, you can upload it via the online platform or download the free Flixie app on the App Store or Google Play Store and follow the instructions. Flixie has been designed to be quick and easy to use to record clips and send them. You will need a smart phone.
We would like to hear about your experiences, for example:
- Have you, or a family member, had COVID-19 and recovered? Tell us about your experience.
- Are you in self-isolation due to having symptoms or because you have been advised to? What helps you most?
- Do you have any helpful tips that could be passed on to others?
Tell us about your experiences and if they are appropriate we will publish them on the European Lung Foundation website so that you can share your personal experiences and provide support and encouragement to others. Thank you.
Filming and sending using the FLIXIE App
You can send us your input on an Apple or Android digital device.
Visit the App Store or Google Play Store and install the flixie App.
On starting the App:
- Once you have downloaded the app, scan the QR code by tapping the scan button and holding your phone over the QR code; alternatively you can enter the code 1rmwuk. This will take you to the ELF COVID-19 project.
- Read the agreement and enter your name. This gives us permission to view, store and use the clips you send on the European Lung Foundation’s website.
- Look at the topics we’d like to hear your thoughts on. These will appear on your phone screen and you can swipe the list left and right and tap to select:
– Have you, or a family member, had COVID-19 and recovered? Tell us about your experience.
– Are you in self-isolation due to having symptoms or because you have been advised to? What helps you most?
– Do you have any helpful tips that could be passed on to others?
- When you want to comment on the next topic, you can change clips by tapping the left arrow to go back to the list and select the next one.
- You should then tap the Shoot button to open the camera then tap the movie camera button to begin recording.
- You can review the clip you record before you submit it. FLIXIE will save a copy of the clip in your camera roll / gallery.
- If you wish to send us a video or photo already in your gallery or photo roll you can do so by tapping Choose from the topic screen and selecting the file. This will automatically send the file to us.
- We recommend you are connected to wifi when recording and sending clips. When we’ve received the clip, you will see a notification on your screen.
- If you want to send us a clip from your web browser without downloading the app, you can do so at this link: https://www.flixie.net/upload/1rmwuk
Filming on your phone
- Film in landscape format – with the phone on its side rather than upright.
- Please keep your videos short. If you have a number of points to make on the same topic please submit separate clips – ideally no more than around 1 minute in duration for each clip.
- Begin each response by repeating the question e.g., “What helped me most when I was in self-isolation was …”
- Keep the shots steady and try to avoid any shaking or jerky movement. You can prop the phone against something or even ask someone else to hold the phone for recording.
- Ideally frame the shots so we only see your head and shoulders. Avoid being too close or too far away.
- Do not film yourself against a bright light like a window as you may become silhouetted and we won’t clearly see your face. Make sure you are standing or sitting in a well-lit area.
- Ideally find somewhere where you feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Make sure you are also near enough to the phone to get acceptable sound. It will be a good idea to test it out with some trial filming – can you be clearly seen and heard? If you film outside be aware of wind noise. If you film inside make sure the room is quiet and not too echoey.
- Do not try to script your responses. We are looking for natural responses to the questions rather than statements.
- You may want to demonstrate something you do as part of your ‘tips’. Start by talking to your phone camera in the usual way and then, if you want, you can film yourself carrying out your tip as a separate clip.
- If at any time you feel you could have said more or said it differently then please do not worry about sending alternative clips.
We will be regularly monitoring the clips so we may ask you a follow up question or even offer suggestions for re-filming some clips.